In our last post we mentioned how we would try applying to many of the other public school options out there (Chungnam, Incheon, Gyeongnam, Jeollabuk, Jeollanam). Either the recruiters have failed and/or all of them have wait listed/rejected us. Rejected because we’re applying as a couple (not because of a bad interview or bad paperwork). So we’re back to square one with not a single application into anyone.
Since the beginning of this whole thing, a year ago, in fact, we’ve been faced with many obstacles. A rocky road, if you will. My fingerprints rejected 3+ times. When we finally got our fingerprints approved our paperwork was lost in the mail. Bad recruiters, bad programs, etc. Some family members have recently taken it to be bad luck or fate. In their opinion: clearly all this rejection and set backs are a sign we shouldn’t go to South Korea. But many people even saw the Asiana crash (which we had nothing to do with) as a sign we shouldn’t go to Korea too. Besides a sometimes glaring lack of support from those who surround us, it’s hard not to wonder about fate or bad luck.
For now, we’re applying to GEPIK (our original choice back in January) and reapplying to EPIK. Our recruiter tells us we could re-apply to EPIK without an interview or a shorter interview. That seems like good luck…maybe? In terms of GEPIK we both applied to a new recruiter for GEPIK and of course my application was delayed. With the Chuseok holiday that means a 5 day delay. Again, people are saying bad luck (and it’s always me, never Chris).
Regardless of luck or not we’re going full force with GEPIK and have EPIK as a backup. We really hope GEPIK can place us sooner than Feb/March. We quit our jobs when we thought EPIK would work out and we’re just sitting around unemployed (it would be so nice not to have to get jobs or to wait until February). Maybe it was all meant to be and we’ll end up with great schools soon.